Running a business requires the development and implementation of strategic goals that will support the growth of the business. One of the strategic goals should be in terms of marketing, and developing a strategy using social media. Social media is a long-term commitment and not a marketing gimmick.
The steps below show the steps we should follow in developing a social media strategy:
1. Determine Your Goals and Objectives
We need to develop and understand your social media goals and objectives and how they tie into your overall company goals.
Keep it Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic/Relevant, and Timely (i.e. SMART goals).
2. Research, Research, and Research Some More
- Research various social media sites
- Develop a list of potential social media sites where you can engage with people.
- Determine their relevancy by searching for your brand name, the names of your competitors, and your target keywords.
3. Create a list of Contacts and Content
- Make a list of influencers who are relevant to your business.
- Begin making connections by following their conversations.
- Subscribe to their blogs
4. Join the Conversation to Develop Relationships
- Post comments on blogs and forums
5. Strengthen Relationships
- Attend offline events related to your industry
- Meet people with whom you’ve engaged online
6. Measure Results
- Increased number of followers, fans, comments, mentions.
- Ratio of positive to negative comments
- keep track of those with whom you’ve connected
- Increased traffic to your website
7. Analyze, Adapt, and Improve
- Experiment often
- Learn from the results and adapt
You should view social media as a strategy, not a tactic. Social media platforms such as blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc., as tactics that integrate into the social media strategy. The goal is to develop your social media strategy and support your strategy with tactics